Make sure you know the route! It is your responsibility to navigate the course successfully and safely and to count your own laps.
There will be no drink stations on the bike course – you should prepare a drink that is suitable for you and have it on your bike before the race starts. Always cycle on the left hand side and beware of competitors overtaking you.
PLEASE NOTE THERE IS A NO OVERTAKING ZONE ON THE BIKE COURSE OVER THE MediaCityUK Footbridge. THIS WILL BE CLEARLY MARKED, HEAVILY MARSHALLED AND MUST BE ADHERED TO, OTHERWISE PENALTIES MAY OCCUR.
BIKE COURSE UPDATE
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT DUE TO ONGOING WORKS ON THE BIKE COURSE, THERE WILL BE A SECTION OF THE COURSE THAT WILL BE SHARED WITH VEHICLES. THIS SECTION IS FROM CHURCHILL WAY TO THE IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM ON TRAFFORD WHARF ROAD.
As with all parts of the bike course, competitors must adhere to and obey the Highway Code.
No drafting is allowed i.e. taking shelter behind or beside another competitor during the cycling leg of the race.
DRAFTING AND NOT DRAFTING
• A ‘bicycle draft zone’ is defined as a rectangle surrounding every competitor that is 3 metres wide and extends 7 metres behind the front wheel of a competitor’s bicycle. The front edge of the front bicycle wheel will define the centre of the leading edge of the rectangle. The draft zone of one competitor must not overlap the draft zone of another competitor.
• Competitors may enter the draft zone of another competitor for the purpose of overtaking, but must be seen to be progressing through that zone.
• A maximum of 30 seconds is allowed to pass through the draft zone of another competitor.
• If an overtaking manoeuvre is not completed within 30 seconds the overtaking cyclist must drop back.
• When a competitor is passed by other competitors, it is his/her responsibility to move out of the draft zone of the overtaking competitor. Failure to do so may result in an official caution or time penalty.
• A competitor is passed when another competitor’s front wheel is ahead of his/her front wheel.
• If a competitor is frequently passed by, or seen to be frequently passing, the same competitor this will be seen as working with, or drafting off, that competitor and will be subject to the same penalty as drafting.
• Motorcycle and static BTF Referees will patrol the course to enforce the no drafting rule.
It is your responsibility to bring a bike that is road worthy and complies with the BTF rules (visit www.britishtriathlon.org for more information). We recommend that you have your bike serviced before race day.
• Approved cycling safety helmets of ANSI Z90.4, SNELL B90, EN 1078 or an equivalent national standard must be worn by competitors. (NOTE: a CE mark is NOT an approval mark).
NB: ANY HELMET BOUGHT IN RECENT YEARS WILL COMPLY BUT CHECK FOR DAMAGE WHICH WOULD STOP IT PROTECTING YOU PROPERLY.
• Fixed wheel bikes (bikes that use the pedals as a brake) are not permitted in the race.
• Your handlebars must not have bare open metal ends. Please obtain stoppers to plug them before coming to the race.
• Our BTF Referees will be on site to stop anyone from using a bike that does not comply with the BTF rules.
RETURN TO TRANSITION (T2)
Once you return to Transition after completing the bike course please make sure you return your bike to the same position it was in at the start of the race. Not doing this will result in a penalty. Please ensure your bike is in position before you remove your helmet. Please also show respect to your fellow competitors in transition by keeping your transition area tidy and keeping to the left on entry and exit.